Ancestry.com LLC is a privately heldonline company based in Lehi,Utah. The largest for-profitegenealogy company in the world, it operates a network of genealogical, historical record and genetic geneology websites.
- In March 2012, Ancestry.com acquired the collection of DNA assets from Gene Tree.
- In November 2018 Ancestry claimed to have over 10 billion digitised records and over three million paying customers .
AncestryDNA is a subsidiary of Ancestry LLC. AncestryDNA offers a direct-to-consumer genealogical DNA test.Consumers provide a sample of their DNA to the company for analysis. AncestryDNA then uses DNA sequences to infer family relationships with other Ancestry DNA users and to provide what it calls an “ethnicity estimate”. Previously, Ancestry.com also offered paternal Y-Chromosome DNA and maternal mitochondrial DNA tests, but those were discontinued in June 2014.The company describes the technical process of testing in a scientific white paper. In May 2019 the company claimed that their database contained 15 million completed DNA kits bought by customers .
- Ancestry Family Tree, Ancestral Quest by Incline Software, licensed by Ancestry.com in 2001 and branded for their use as Ancestry Family Tree. Available for free from Ancestry.com from 2001 to 2003.
- Family Origins
- Family Tree Maker, sold in 2017.
- Genealogy.com – Genealogy.com, which maintains a genealogy research website, was acquired by MyFamily.com in 2003.
- Generations Family Tree .
- MyFamily.com – allowed members to create private family, or group, websites. In May 2010, MyFamily closed its Bellevue,Washingtones development office, effectively letting its entire staff go since none of the staff accepted an offer to move to Provo. Ancestry shut down MyFamily.com on September 5, 2014.At the time of the shutdown, MyFamily had not resolved discontent with the downloading process, which consisted of capturing miscellaneous uncatalogued photos, with alphanumeric names and no data attached, and various calendar documents, thus leaving behind the associated data, File Cabinet documents, family recipes, and all other information.
- ROOTS software series by CommSoft was one of the first publishers of series of genealogy software programs, created in the 1980s, and available until 1997. Commsoft released the following: ROOTS89 for the Health H-8 series of personal computers; ROOTS/M for the CP/M operating system; and ROOTS II for MS-DOS, followed by ROOTS III and ROOTS IV; and ROOTS V for Windows along with Visual ROOTS for Microsoft Windows.
- Ultimate Family Tree (UFT)